Guest Speaker and Judge: Mr. Marc C. LeBane, Senior Lecturer and English Language Support Service (ELSS) Coordinator at Lingnan University
Educated at the University of Winnipeg in Canada (BA), the University of Wales, College of Cardiff (LLB), the University of Southern Queensland in Australia (M.Ed.) and the English Learning Centre in London, UK (TESL Certificate). Over the past 20+ years, he has taught and designed a wide range of English Language based courses ranging from Law, International Commerce, Public Speaking, and Graduate/Under-Graduate English in South Korea & Lingnan University in Hong Kong.
In addition to his teaching duties, he has been responsible for the development and running of the Centre for English and Additional Languages (CEAL) ELSS at Lingnan, which provides a range of academic and social English enhancement programmes run by Visiting English Tutors (VETs).
In 2013 he brought TEDx to Lingnan University. With the help of the VETs and students, each year one mainstage event is organised and from 2016, three Salon series are run.
- Lingnan University Teaching Excellence Award 2013/14
- Lingnan University’s Significant Contribution to OBE Award 2015/16
- Lingnan University’s Significant Contribution to OBE Award 2016/17
- Lingnan University Teaching Excellence Certificate of Merit - Team Teaching 2016/17
- Turnitin Global Innovation Awards - Honourable Mention 2017
Judge: Mr. Kevin Maher, Senior Lecturer of English at the University of Macau (UMAC)
Presented: “Connecting with an Audience” at the Hong Kong Baptist University 15th Annual Speaking Contest, Hong Kong, April the 3rd, 2017 as the INVITED SPEAKER & CONTEST JUDGE.
Selected Publications on Speaking:
- Maher, K. (2015). No more zzz’s: Audience engagement during oral presentations. In P. Clements, A. Krause, & H. Brown (Eds.), JALT2014 Conference Proceedings. Tokyo: JALT. http://jalt-publications.org/proceedings/articles/4741-
- Maher, K. (2015). Applying community-based learning to oral presentations. Proceedings from the 2nd International Conference on Teaching English for Specific Purposes and New Language Learning Technologies. Niš, Serbia: University of Niš.
- Maher, K. (2015). Activate! Audience involvement during student speeches. NileTESOL 2014 Proceedings. Cairo, Egypt: NileTESOL.
Selected Presentations on Speaking:
- “Connecting with an Audience,” Hong Kong Baptist University 15th Annual Speaking Contest, Hong Kong, April 3, 2017. INVITED SPEAKER & CONTEST JUDGE.
- “An Audience Involvement Approach to Teaching EFL Presentation Skills,” TESOL Regional International Conference 2015, Singapore, December 3-5, 2015.
- “An audience-involvement approach to teaching public speaking,” CAES International Conference, Hong Kong, June 11-13, 2015.
- “For the sake of student speeches: Sculpting the perfect audience,” The 5th International Conference on English, Discourse and Intercultural Communication, Macau and Urumqi, June 2-8, 2015.
- “Applying community-based learning to oral presentations,” 2nd International Conference on Teaching English for Specific Purposes and New Language Learning Technologies, Niš, Serbia, May 22-24, 2015.
- “Dynamic speakers: Student collaboration to enhance student speeches,” 13th ELTA Serbia Conference, Belgrade, Serbia, May 15-16, 2015.
- “A Neuro-based approach to teaching oral presentations,” International NeuroELT Conference, Manila, Philippines, January 22-24, 2015.
- “No more Zzz’s! Audience engagement for student speeches,” JALT (Japan Association of Language Teachers) National Conference, Tsukuba, Japan, November 21-24, 2014.
- “The 5-minute Speech: Student Preparation & Assessment,” KOTESOL-KAFLE International Conference, COEX, Seoul, South Korea, October 2014.
- “Student Speeches – Involve the Audience!” ELC 2013 English Language Teaching International Conference, Macau, China, March 2014.
- “Activate! Audience involvement during student speeches,” NileTESOL Conference XVIII, Cairo, Egypt, January 25-27, 2014.
- “Presenting public speaking: Organizing, preparing and assessing student speeches,” The 1st Kansai Gaidai Class Activity Research Forum, Hirakata, Japan, January 2012.