Language Enhancement Programme
Language Exchange (Semester 2, 2018-2019)
The Language Exchange Programme offers language and cultural exchange opportunities between international/exchange students and local/mainland students. You will be grouped and/or paired with a language partner to learn and to teach a language. You can also gain insights into cultural differences in language meetings.
How does it work?
- Apply for the programme before 27 January 2019 (Sun).
- You will receive a confirmation email with the details of the Orientation session once we accept your application.
- Attend the Orientation session on 1 February 2019 (Fri) from 7-9 pm. You will be informed by email of the venue of the Orientation session ONLY if your application is successful.
Note: It is compulsory for you to attend the full Orientation session in order to participate in the Language Exchange programme.
- Details of the programme (grouping, dates of gathering, language teaching and learning techniques, meeting guidelines, etc.) will be given in the Orientation.
- Meet your partner/group members at least 6 times during the semester.
- In each meeting, spend half the time on using Cantonese or Putonghua while the other half should be spent on English or another agreed upon language.
What will you gain from this programme?
- Improve your language skills
- Gain language teaching skills
- Meet friends from all corners of the world
- Share your culture with others and increase your understanding of other cultures
- Enhance your cross-cultural communication skills
Who can join this programme?
- All HKBU UGC-funded undergraduate and postgraduate students are eligible to join.
- Slots are filled on a first-come-first-served basis, according to the applicant’s language preference and the availability of the language partner.
- Once the slots are filled, new applicants will be placed on the waiting list. Waiting list students will be informed by email and/or phone as soon as a slot opens up.
- Past participants are eligible to join the Language Exchange again, but priority will be given to those who have not participated before.
How can you apply?
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is attending the Orientation session compulsory?
It is compulsory as you will meet your Language Partner at the Orientation and make plans for the language meetings. The Orientation is also instrumental in ensuring that both you and your Language Partner have a valuable learning experience by providing guidelines that will facilitate language and cultural exchange.
- I am not available on the Orientation Day. Can I still join the Language Exchange?
No. Attending the full Orientation session is compulsory in order to participate in the Language Exchange.
- What happens if I am absent on the Orientation Day due to sickness or other reasons?
You will be withdrawn from the Language Exchange if you do not attend the Orientation.
- How are the slots of the Language Exchange filled?
The slots in the Language Exchange are filled on a first-come-first-served basis, according to the applicant’s language preference and the availability of the Language Partner.
- How can I increase my chances of participating in the Language Exchange?
1) Apply for the Language Exchange as soon as possible because the slots are filled on a first-come-first-served basis.
2) Be open-minded about the languages you wish to practise/learn. We will pair you with a Language Partner according to the language choices indicated in your application form. You may be placed on the waiting list if a partner of your language choice cannot be found.
- I am on the waiting list. When and how will I know if I have a slot in the Language Exchange?
You will be informed by email and/or phone as soon as possible. Please ensure that you check your email daily and provide us an accurate phone number (if you do not have a Hong Kong number, you may provide us your WhatsApp number). Whether students on the waiting list can make it to the participating list depends on:
1) whether there are any drop outs and
2) whether you are reachable on the day when the slot opens up (if you are not reachable or do not reply to us by the date specified in our email, the slot will be given to the next applicant on the waiting list).
- Can I still be paired with a Language Partner even if I cannot attend the Orientation or if I am on the waiting list?
This service is not provided for the time being due to manpower constraints. You may consider applying for the programme when it is offered next time, or you may consider joining other supplementary courses offered by the Language Centre. The list of courses offered can be found once you login to http://arts01.hkbu.edu.hk/online_reg/.
(Tel.) 3411 5899 (Email) email@example.com